Since I’ve been traveling I have definitely missed being able to cook pasta with more than just store bought sauces or tomatoes. This is due to it being hard to justify the price of the vegan alternatives when you are only in one place for 4-5days at a time, with limited cooking supplies and will have to get rid of any left over ingredient when you leave the country. So in order to help with my cravings I’m going to share my recipe for vegan Mac’n’Cheese, featuring pictures of my dog.
Now because I’m a hap-hazard kinda cook who doesn’t really use measurements that often feel free to change the ingredient amounts to suit your tastes. I say this mostly because I love ‘nooch’ (nutritional yeast flakes/powder) as well as smoked paprika which I know may not appeal to a lot of people. Now after that little disclaimer here is the recipe.
2 handfuls of macaroni pasta (approx 3/4cup)
1tbsp vegan butter
1tbsp plain flour
200ml of plant based milk (I prefer soy for this but oat and almond work just as well)
2tsp of Smoked Paprika
1tsp garlic salt
1/2 a handful of grated vegan cheese
1 1/2tsp black sesame seeds
1-2 large handfuls of baby spinach
How to make it:
- Start cooking your pasta according to the packet instructions/how you like to cook it.
- Next up, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low to medium heat. Once it’s melted stir in the flour until fully incorporated. Now start gradually adding the milk, stirring as much as possible while you do so.
- Once the mixture is loose enough to coat the pasta but not basically just plant based milk, start to add your flavourings; ‘nooch’, smoked paprika, garlic salt, and some cracked black pepper.
- Stir a few times until the mix is all one colour, then mix in the cheese and take of the heat.
- By this time your pasta should be done, once drained stir it into the sauce, once the pasta is evenly coated add your baby spinach stir again.
- Put it all into a bowl top with some sesame seeds (these are optional I just love them on everything) and dig in!
p.s. if you try this recipe send me a photo on twitter or instagram @english_mlle